|'Distill' 19"x12" (approx.)|
In response to this challenge, I chose to work with the piece of rust-and-onion-dyed raw silk I had left bundled on my front porch half the summer. Neutrals are definitely outside my usual color realm!
I selected a dark navy blue-gray from my stash of hand-dyed cottons and held my breath as I cut into the stacked silk and cotton with my rotary blade with no preconception of what I was going to end up with. The shapes formed by the resulting curved piecing blocks suggested trees with bare branches, a familiar subject in my drawings.
I cut a couple of leaf skeleton rubber stamps which seemed to harmonize with the organic, forest floor feeling of the emerging piece.
I used my little bowl stamp as well, symbolizing the alchemy of the changing seasons with beads bubbling up from these.
It was hard to stay away from using any bright color! I did add a tiny accent of red along the edge of one of the leaf skeletons. The piece is adhered with Mistyfuse to two layers of felt and clean cut around the edges. I am looking forward to the next challenge! Stop by and visit me at my blog anytime!